Fall is a great time of year to socialize outdoors. The weather is cooler and the scenery gets that amazing boost of color. Here is a list of outdoor social activities you can do with friends that allow the recommended physical distancing and mask wearing to remain safe during Covid.
- Apple picking – many apple picking farms offer hayrides and general stores with baked goods for sale. Bring chair or blankets so you can relax with friends at a safe distance.
- Pumpkin carving contest – most apple picking farms also sell pumpkins. Grab a pumpkin and hang out outside while each friend carves an interesting creation. Consider a prize for the best one (maybe a pumpkin pie!)
- Hiking – the popularity of hiking seems to be on the rise and it’s no wonder. Hikers can wear masks or stay a safe distance apart while enjoying the incredible fall scenery. Check websites for the difficulty level of the hike so you choose one that fits your experience and be sure to bring water, snacks and a bag to bring any debris off the mountain or trail with you. Footwear appropriate for hiking is key as well as perhaps layered clothing depending on how high an elevation you’re exploring.
- Kindness rocks – grab some acrylic paints and rocks to decorate and have a driveway painting session. You can then disperse your inspirational rocks for others to find on popular walking trails.
- Nature scavenger hunts – Create a list of potential thing that you might find on a hike like a heart shaped rock or a bright red leaf and have the hunters either take pictures of their findings or collect them to bring back to the group. This provides exercise with a purpose!
Outdoor activities not only allow for fun and safe socialization but also exercise and time away from screens. A little outdoor time can be relaxing as well as rejuvenating so grab those hiking boots and enjoy fall.